Saturday, October 5, 2013

Designed To Color World Card Making Day Blog Hop!!!!!

Today, October 5th, is officially World Card Making Day! This holiday is an opportunity to celebrate the creativity of handmade cards and the personal connection that they create between friends and family. It's a day to connect with fellow card makers both near and far, to applaud the creativity that powers the craft, and to provide an opportunity for card makers to connect and find resources that will empower, inspire, and encourage them in their card making. It’s also a time to get a jump-start on the holiday card-making season!

At Designed To Color, we’ve decided to celebrate this special day with an awesome Blog Hop!! Our Design Team and special guests have made some amazing cards! Several of us will also be sharing some card-making tips along the way. Please leave a comment on each designer’s blog and then a comment at Designed To Color to let us know you have completed the hop. We will pick 1 random winner for a prize package consisting of goodies from various sponsors including: 

Crafter's Companion

Yumi & Fumi Handmade

…..just to name a few!

You have until Monday, October 7th, at 11:59pm MST to leave a comment on each blog. We will announce the winner on Wednesday, October 9th. GOOD LUCK!

You should have arrived from Rosie's house. If not, hop on over to the beginning and start there!

For my card I decided to use one of the new Mechanimals 2 (Eye on the Prize) stamps from Susana Loves Stamps. I am all about the Steampunk right now, but sometimes Steampunk is kind of monotone. So my tip of the day is to use pops of unexpected colors for images to add interest. 

For example, I started out with the green here - circuit boards are green - Praying mantis and Grasshoppers are green... but then after picking out my paper (Farmhouse 302 Paper Pack) I needed to add some turquoise. I struggled with it, but then thought what the heck. So I made some of the wing, and some of the other elements the BG1x series. And it works so well. So go out there - try to make some flowers in odd colors, and add different color hair to your ladies. Do something unexpected, and see if you like how it turns out. I did on this one!!!




Here is the blog hop order:
Alaine <-- are="" here="" span="" you="">

GUESTS from TSD:
We hope you are inspired to create something special for World Card Making Day. If you do make a card please stop by the Designed To Color Facebook Page to share your creations. We would love to see them!!



Have a great weekend!


Photobucket

17 comments:

  1. works great with those pops of colour it really lifts it and love that sentiment too, happy world card making day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great card and image! I love the turquoise and the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy WCMD!!! So happy to have you join us on the hop - LOVE that tip. I'm obsessed with using non normal hair colors on my images! I think it's because I would love to dye my hair all sorts of funky colors all over but have always stuck to just tiny stripes here and there. I love your steam punk grasshopper - that turquoise was the perfect touch. **hugs**

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is absolutely beautiful and that isn't a normal steampunk comment from me - I love this guy and you definitely did him justice. Great tip - I have to remember it and not just fall back on the norm!! Happy World Card Making Day!
    Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous card! Loving the pop of turquoise in your image!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great card I love the sentiment x

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a FUN image, and i love that you decided to step outside of the box, too! who says it has to be colored the way it's supposed to BE?! we're crafters and artists and we IMAGINE! :) love your card to bits!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great card!! Tip on coloring is great. is there really coloring rules...and who says coloring has to be certain ways. lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your tip, I love colouring hair in different colours but forget to do it very often. Great card, XOX Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic card Alaine :o)
    Hugs
    Tracey
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't say I've ever seen a steampunk grasshopper - way unique.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great card, Alaine! Fun image and great colors! Love the gears!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the critter and gears on your card.

    isoscia at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the tip about an unexpected pop of color! Good idea to keep in mind!

    ReplyDelete